We deployed a handful of tips on writing video game reviews not too long ago. How about some more?!
After you get the basic structure of a review down, it’s time to expand. Your writing style is what sets your work apart. It’s why editors seek you out as opposed to your fellow journalists. Once you get the technical aspects of reviewing down, it’s time to start relaxing and breaking the rules. Use the following tips (and George Orwell’s rules in the image below) to help expand your craft and turn run-of-the-mill articles into your personal best!
- After writing your review, read over it and ask yourself if it makes sense to anyone but yourself. Then ask if it makes sense to a five year old. If it doesn’t, keep writing/editing.
- Don’t be clever. At least, not at first. Focus on simplicity and communicating your experience. Witty phrases will come later.
- Avoid cliche metaphors and phrases. They add nothing to your reviews.
- Never start your review with “(Insert dictionary name) defines (insert word) as…” I will personally hunt you down if you do.
- Get a good grasp on grammar. Only after you’ve put in a few years of good writing can you start breaking the rules. When applicable.
- Write for the non-gamer. Mentioning an obscure game makes you seem pretentious and can alienate your readers.
- Link liberally. Web users are notoriously lazy. Link to your own articles when possible, and be sure to link to any games you write about.
- Read your final draft out loud. Sometimes this is the best way to catch obvious mistakes. If it “sounds good”, it probably is good.
- Avoid using the same word over and over again. English has one of the largest vocabularies of any language. Take advantage of that, but at the same time, don’t abuse the thesaurus.
- Eliminate unnecessary words. If you can kill a word, do it. This is especially true for adjectives. The result will be a tight and well-written review.
It’s as important to master the basic structure of a review as it is to branch out and add your own personal flair. Once you feel you have a grasp of the foundation, let your own writing style be seen!
More Writing and Game Writing Jobs:
Bid Writer/ Assistant.Bennett & Game Recruitment Limited Job Profile for Bid Writer Assistant - 00077771 I am currently recruiting for a Bid Writing ... Bennett and Game Recruitment are acting as a Recruitment Agency in relation to this vacancyLondon, UK
Food Writer – Specialty Meats & FoodMarx Companies ... game. · Articulate. · Experience in a professional kitchen is a huge plus. · Fun and delicious. Not only will you be writing about our products, but your writing will have great influence over how ...Seattle, WA, USA
Creative Writer - Content Writer.Elevate Platform Limited Have you ever written for a character for film, TV, video game, or comic book that can deliver a joke that can make a grandmother or teen smile? Are you the person at the party who wins the trivia ...London, UK
Sports WriterSports Media The sports reporter will handle game coverage, feature writing and some page layout. We offer the chance to go beyond common sports reporting via expanded game coverage and magazine-style featuresJasper, IN, USA
Content WriterMaxaudience, Inc Creative and Content Marketing Specialist Staff Writer. Content Marketing Manager is responsible ... game and we do it quickly. Our team members have contributed to legendary campaigns such as the ...Carlsbad, CA, USA
Technical WriterVALiNTRY Services VALiNTRY's 100% US-based team is changing the game in IT, Healthcare, Marketing, Finance/Accounting, and CPA consulting and placement. VALiNTRY is a national company bound by common values and ...Orlando, FL, USA
College Athletics Beat WriterSports Media Writing memorable features, enterprise, project and game stories; * Making our blogs must-reads throughout the day; * Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old ...Oklahoma City, OK, USA
OCS/ICT Technical Writer(unknown company) ... game-changer for our city and our customers. The project will deliver more frequent services for ... As OCS/ICT Technical Writer, you will represent Metro Trains on the Rail Systems Alliance – MTP ...USA
CONTRACT - Localization Writer/EditorNintendo Writes and edits game text, scripts, manuals, marketing summaries and other copy * Provides input regarding localizing Nintendo products * Writes, proofs and edits game text, game scripts ...Redmond, WA, USA
ELA Content WriterAmplify Finally, we added the innovative visions of great game designers, animators, moviemakers, and ... We have preserved a core focus on the essential activities of reading, writing, speaking, listening ...Remote, OR, USA