What is Indie Ranger?
Indie Ranger is a niche gaming site aimed at independent developers and publishers. Since we started in 2017, our goal is to give recognition and dig up the hidden gems that may have otherwise been buried in the saturated market of video games. Our content includes game reviews, press releases, listicles, opinion pieces and profiles as well as other human interest stories.
Currently, we are looking for news orientated people to beef up our news coverage. News contributors will have the unique advantage of being able to access our newsletter email to get content ideas!
The responsibilities of a news contributor are as follows:
- Being responsible for creating timely news articles for Indie Ranger.
- Creating content in new and unique forms (developer Q&A’s, research, previews, first impressions, etc.)
- Sometimes we receive keys to review games, as we will never ask you to pay out of pocket for a game. That said, if you are given a key for a game to review, you must follow through with it.
- Keeping track of our newsletter email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for content to publish.
- Keeping your ear to the ground for new ideas. Since we are indie game focused, just about any small game that we can promote is something we’re interested in!
- Scour the depths of Kickstarter, r/indiegames, TIGSource, etc. to find new and exciting games to cover.
We’re also looking for one or two people to help out with our social media outreach, Instagram especially.
While no prior journalism/writing experience is required, being a solid communicator is a must. We have a Discord that we use for a majority of our communication and will keep tabs and update each other through there.
This is volunteer work?
Sort of kind of, yes. For now, at least, writing positions are unpaid. However, we can compensate with game keys for reviews, and eventually, products from our store that we look to sell soon!
So, what’s the point then?
Writing with Indie Ranger, while unpaid, is a great way to build and expand your resume. Nowadays, journalists are required to do more in terms of their ability to write unique, attention-grabbing articles. It’s become more than just “write about this thing that happened over there.” Learning how to write profiles, reviews and other general interest stories can go a long way for future employment. You also get your work published on a pretty neat looking website!
Oh, also, if you want to write reviews, we can set you up with game keys (Steam and otherwise) for those games so you’re not paying out-of-pocket. So that’s a neat bonus!
How can I get started?
Feel free to apply here on Game Journalism Jobs! Additionally, for a quicker reply, you can email the editor in chief at email@example.com
If you want to pop into our Discord server to chat about the position, click here.
You must sign in to apply for this position.